As a parent, sometimes it feels like "go, go, go" and at the end of the day, maybe it feels like there's too much to do and not enough got done. For that, I'm sorry. I'm sorry society has failed you and made you think that nothing you do is ever enough, I'm sorry that it's become a comparison of "who did it better" to try and keep up with social media and family and the Jones's. You deserve to be loved as you are, and you deserve to love and prioritize yourself. (Easier said than done, especially when it feels like just another task that needs to be done)
That said, there are some small things that can be done to bring you back into the present moment, and hopefully help to prioritize yourself.
- Make time for yourself each day - Even if it's just 2 minutes, make sure to take a few moments to do something that you enjoy. This could be reading, listening to music, or whatever it is that relaxes and refuels you.
- Take in the moment - look around right now and find 3 things that are green. Now can you find 3 things that are orange. Now breathe. You've brought yourself into the present. (good job, love.)
- Seek out gratitude - What is 1 thing you like about yourself? Not something that you do that serves other people, but something about you. "I like that creativity sparks my soul." or "I love the joy I feel when my child smiles"
- Take stock of how you're feeling - feelings aren't inherently good or bad, they just are. So what are you feeling right now?
- Be kind to yourself - you're doing a great job and I'm proud of you.
- Connect with other parents - Building relationships with other parents can be a great source of support and encouragement.
- Celebrate small wins - Don’t forget to take time to celebrate the small successes, like finally getting the kids to sleep or having a successful dinner.